more about my Serbian trip מתוך jewishgen

more about my Serbian trip מתוך jewishgen

Subject: more about my Serbian trip From: [email protected] Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:44:29 -0700 (PDT) X-Message-Number: 2 Wow Since my posts, I have heard from probably a dozen people with ancestry in Serbia, some in the area of Subotica, which is my area, and some not. I think this demonstrates that there is interest in this part of the former Hungary, and maybe something to build on. To recap, I will be in Serbia from Sept 7-11, 2010. I expect to be in Subotica and that general area, this being the north of Vojvodina. I will be meeting with members of "Jewish Municipality" of Subotica, this basically I think will be essentially a social visit. I will be meeting with a local historian named Antal Kocsis. He does not speak English. I already know of him that he has written something like a thousand pages of Jewish history of the area. It might be a project to get his work translated. I will be guided by a Serbian genealogist by the name of Stasa Cventkovic. He has done alot of work for ethnic German descendants in the area, but not as far as I know any Jewish. One thing I hope to feel out is whether he might be someone who could take on Jewish genealogy. In Serbia (perhaps any Hungarian area) there are civil records in the town archives and there are separately Jewish community records. I sense there is far more intact than we realized. My plan is to pass on the names of the families that I have been given to the Jewish Municipality people and Antal, and see if they resonate at all. I don't plan to do any actual research, except possibly my own families. A lot of my background has already traced by "colleagues" of Andras Koltai in Budapest who sent researchers into Serbia. It was not cheap but very much worth it. This project is growing beyond anything I could imagine. I have been told the community in Subotica is eager to greet me and so I must assume they would love to know there are others who also still yearn to reconnect. Thanks to everyone who has contacted me so far. Erica Hahn Monrovia California Moderator: Please contact Erica off-list for additional information.

למעלה